This is my dad’s favorite holiday pie ! I started making my own years ago so I would always have plenty on hand for making dad’s holiday pies ! I use all fruit…no beef suet or meat. It is full of that unmistakeable flavor….it will put you in a holiday mood ! I hope you try it and enjoy making it as much as I do !
- 10 – 12 large apples ( I use a variety…type doesn’t matter )
- 4 whole navel oranges….chopped finely in a food processor
- 2 large containers of raisins
- 2 cups of chopped dates
- 2 lbs brown sugar
- 1 teaspon each: nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- orange juice and apple juice ….start with 2 cups mixed….add more as needed
Core and chop the apples…..grind the oranges ( peel and all )
add those to a stock pot….then add the raisins and dates….and the spices ,sugar and 2 cups of mixed juice.
Turn the heat to low and bring to a simmer. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Adjust the heat as necessary . This whole process will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add more juice if it seems to dry ( though you don’t want it loose and runny )
you will need 10 – 12 pint jars .
fill your washed and sterilized jars with the hot mincemeat
clean the rims….add the lids…process in a waterbath for 20 minutes…..remove from the canner…set on a cloth kitchen towel or newspaper…..leave alone to cool till the next day
now you have mincemeat for your holiday pies! You will love it!!